The crisp, cool air has settled in and Winter is officially here. When I think of cold weather I think of layers, textures and ambient environments which evoke a sense of cosiness.
1. Consider your lighting – as the days get shorter you will be relying so much more on the lighting in your home to create ambience. Add an extra table lamp to a side table or console, or try an exposed vintage filament bulb styled on your bar or bedside. A little extra glow will go a long way. Always ensure your lights have a warm bulb (as opposed to cool, bluey bulbs), so your home glows golden.The atmosphere of a room is also heavily affected by the scents you use in it, you can add warmth to your rooms by purchasing a scented candle. I’d recommend luxurious candles that contain woods or spice notes like the Coco Republic Amber Rose candle, which will help create a warm ambience.
2. To save your toes from freezing off this winter, consider adding a thicker, wool rug to your living room. Put your flatweave, or low-pile rugs in storage for the winter and update your home with a neutral coloured, textured style that will feel divine underfoot and elevate your interior. It’s important to think about the size of rug that will work within your room. Oversized rugs that extend beneath both the sofa and coffee table work well in the living room, whilst a rug that tucks half under the end of your bed looks cosy in the bedroom.
3. Layer in a few extra throw pillows for a quick winter style update. Playful patterns stand out against wood flooring and a lush velvet sofa. Choose accent pillows in colors and patterns that match your existing decor to ensure you don’t have to make any more decor adjustments.
4. Add a dose of fur to your home with a throw to your bed, couch or kitchen chairs. Layer hides with fluffy pieces – try the Reindeer Hide or Faux Fox Throw by Timothy Oulton to accessorise your home. Gilded elements are also just as important as warm textures. A brass accent above the mantle in the form of a mirror or tabletop accessories for a winter vibe.
5. Anything in velvet. Velvet is such a luscious fabric, and suits moody wintery lighting perfectly. If you’re looking for a new sofa or occasional chair, consider an upholstery in a cool toned velvet – that will transition beautifully into the warmer months. If you simply want to accessorise with some velvet, choose some seasonal scatter cushions. The Sara Velvet Scatter Cushions collection from Coco Republic has a range of colours to go perfectly in your home.
Everyone should consider adding personality at home and having fun with decorating. It’s more appropriate now to add punch with quirky accessories. In Australia, we love to entertain and show off our homes. If you are wowed by a piece then there is a fair chance others will be too. Personality goes a long way, no matter the season!