Styling your home for sale isn’t as straight forward as you might think, it’s a specialised type of design that if done right can earn you hundreds of thousands more than you desired price. Here are some tips that will get you started..
1. Detach yourself from your property entirely – no emotional ties. You have decided to sell your property, so now you have to consider it is not yours. No tears please.
2. Declutter your personal affects – too many little things for people to look at can detract from the overall picture and look too messy. Pack away the clutter or even better…have a garage sale and get rid of your old clobber.
3. Always think about the proportion of furniture pieces to the size of a room. It’s simple really – large rooms need larger pieces, small rooms need smaller, narrower pieces. Placement of the furniture is also important – don’t cut the room in half by placing a large sofa in the middle of the living room.
4. The use of mirrors, artwork and rugs, help to layer a room and add an extra dimension to smaller rooms. If there is no natural light, make sure you layer a room. Rugs help to soften spaces and define an area; for example placing a large rug underneath a dining room setting defines it as the dining space.
5. Make sure you neutralise the space. This allows for the purchaser to visualise themselves in there. Make sure you use lighter fabrics on the key pieces so they are not so dominant. If you can, make sure the walls are neutral – bold coloured walls can close a space in, whereas white walls create a sense of space and are bright and fresh.
Coco Republic Property Styling