Post their incredible Australian Fashion Week collection;, I spoke with Edwina Robinson – Design Director at Aje – about their brand and the stunning safari themed set.
1. What is the Aje brand? Aje is the creative collaboration between Adrian Norris and Edwina Robinson. It is a label synonymous with effortless glamorous, tough femininity and disheveled elegance.
2. Who is the AJE woman? The Aje. woman is constantly changing and evolving: she is elegant whilst tough, flamboyant whilst demure, extravagant whilst humble. She is well travelled, confident and assertive. She always maintains an air of elegance and luxury whilst being a little rock and eternally chic; definitely not confused but rather purposely contradictory.
3. What was the inspiration for your SS2014 range ?
We create our collections for strong, bold women – and they don’t come braver than the first female adventurer Osa Johnson. In the early 20th century she was famous for exploring exotic faraway lands such as Borneo, the Congo, Africa; authoring books and creating films to share her amazing adventures with the world. After researching Osa, we fell in love with the woman who was as comfortable walking the red carpet in couture as she was trekking through the Serengeti in a safari suit, and we wanted to tell her story through our SS14/15 collection ‘AJE Married Adventure’. Osa Johnson completely epitomizes the Aje brand.
4. Why did you choose Coco Republic furniture for your show? We saw Coco Republic as a perfect alignment for our label. It’s luxe, it’s beautiful, the pieces are unique and, just like our brand, it is of utmost quality. Aje is not just fashion; it’s about a lifestyle. Accordingly, it is really important to us that our fashion shows reflect this. The concept for our show this year was to bring people into a world of luxury safari, and Coco Republic helped us create the perfect ambience and aesthetic for this.
5. How did you style the show? The showcase was transformed into a luxury safari set, dominated by the amazing pieces from Coco Republic, the pivotal point being an exceptional Lauren Ralph Lauren Collection 4 poster bed. The glamorous safari-styled models gently lounged around the “central camp” whilst the guests wandered around the candlelit perimeter sipping on flutes of Tempus Two Prosecco . It was magical.
6. What was the reaction to the final effect? The ambience was breathtaking. Guests were speechless when they walked in…however after a few glasses of wine it was no longer the case!
Get the look at Coco Republic, with the below selection of stunning, safari themed furniture and accessories: